For the last 2 days for lunch I have been having a salad. This is not your average boring salad. The name says it all, the Super Power Lunch salad. I found this recipe in a cookbook called “Paleo Power Lunch” by Stormy Sweitzer. The best part was I already had everything that I needed to make it without having to make a trip to the store! This salad is super packed with nutrients.
20% daily protein (19g)
58% fat (25g)
22% carbs (21g)
I know the high content of fat would scare some of you but, know that this is a good thing because it will make you stay fuller longer without having to have snacks in between meals. Since we are cutting our daily carb intake we are eating a lot less processed, refined, gluten, grain foods that are basically fillers that are hard to digest and irritant your gut. The salad is also packed with vitamin C (164% of your recommended daily intake), vitamin A (402% RDI) and vitamin K (757%).
- 2 cups sliced kale (massaged w/ hands to break up the fibers) (I used 1 c kale and 1 c green leaf lettuce)
- 3 ozs baked or broiled salmon (I only used 1/2 of that amount)
- 1/2 c chopped roasted sweet potatoes (I used butternut squash instead, any root veggie would do)
- 1/4 c blueberries
- 1 sliced hard-boiled egg
- 2 Tbl chopped walnut (or any nut)
For the dressing: I just used your basic oil-vinegar mix but I did add 1/2 tsp of honey.
When looking at the recipe you would think “how do all these ingredients taste good together?”, I thought the same thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how good all the flavors melded together. I felt satisfied, like the risotto. If there are any Seinfeld fans out there you will know what episode I am referencing. As you will come to find out, I am a bit obsessed with Seinfeld.
I throughly enjoyed the salad, but I was having trouble with one ingredient, hard-boiled egg. By the time I got done peeling the shell off the egg it was barely recognizable. I have followed the directions exactly on how to boil eggs, yet I always have issues with the peeling of the eggs. This will not deter me from having my big salad, but I am determined to find the secret to the hard-boiled egg!
- Have you had a big salad today? If so, what was in it?
- What is the secret to making the perfect hard-boiled egg? ( I promise I won’t tell)
- If a Seinfeld fan, what is your favorite episode or line from the show?